Join The Sewing House Quilts of Valor outreach!
We are honored to be a Quilts of Valor® (QOV) registered shop in the Mid-South! A Quilt of Valor (QOV) is a quality, handmade quilt that is machine or hand quilted. It is awarded to a service member or a Veteran who has been touched by war. The Quilt says unequivocally,
“Thank you for your service and sacrifice in serving our nation.”
Here’s how it works!
- Start creating your blocks for our QOV Block Drive today!
- Bring your finished block(s) or completed quilt to our shop before September 30th
- You may send us a photo with your block for social media if you’d like. Email “firstname.lastname@example.org” to be in our Facebook album.
- You may turn your blocks in as you complete them.
- Let’s work together to create blocks and get ready for the October quilt assembly meetups!
- To join an assembly team, please fill out THIS FORM.
- Block sizes can be 8″, 10″ or 12″
- Fabric quality – must be 100% quality cotton fabrics.
- Patriotic fabrics are best (please stick to Red, White, and Blue toned fabrics)
- We’re partial to stars but blocks can be any design suitable for a patriotic quilt.
- Things to avoid – Please do not use juvenile fabrics or branded fabrics in the blocks.
- Donation deadline – we need to reach our 100 block goal by September 30th, 2021. After that date, we’ll start collecting for our 2022 Quilts of Valor 100+ block drive.
- Quilt Block Assembly – Block donors are invited to assemble quilts with us in October JOIN HERE (4 team captains will organize this effort – the stars team, stripes team, red team, and blue team.)
- Quilting Guilds – If your quilting guild would like to donate completed quilts, we’d love to have them! These 8 beautiful quilts below were donated by the Millington Quilting Guild – such a generous donation!
- If you’ve already donated quilt blocks and want to join us for a quilt assembly event in October, please join the Facebook group.
- We’ll be introducing our four Team Captains soon.
- We are planning a presentation of quilts to local Mid-South Veterans and servicemen and women on or near Veteran’s Day, November 11th – details will be planned in the Facebook group.
- To nominate a Veteran or Service Member for a quilt, CLICK HERE.
- Volunteer friends have now connected with the national QOV nonprofit organization to establish a donation link for the group. This supplements our Sewing House donated longarm services and materials.
The Grasso family, owners of A-Team Roofing, have generously donated to cover the purchase of batting, backing, and binding fabrics to help finish quilts made with donated blocks. Kyle Grasso is a US Army Ranger Veteran.
“We appreciate the Quilts of Valor nonprofit volunteers who are working hard to make this project possible. Thank you to the talented quilters who are taking the time to honor service members and Veterans! We’re happy to help!” ~ Kyle Grasso
Need fabric inspiration?
Thank you for your interest in honoring Veterans and service members!
and please share with your sewing and quilting friends!